Although it is not a cold, fall day, I was craving banana bread and thought I would whip up a batch. Lets just say this bread was soooooo delicious I had to share the recipe. It was my first time making it vegan style and it tasted exactly like my mom's bread that had eggs and butter in its ingredients list.
Homemade Banana Bread
Inspired by ohsheglows.com
1 c + 3/4 c whole grain spelt flour* (can substitute with whole wheat flour)
1.5 t baking soda
1/2 t baking powder (I used aluminum-free)
1/2 t sea salt
1 t pumpkin pie spice (or use 1/2 t cinnamon, 1/4 t ground ginger, and 1/4 t nutmeg)
1 T Chia seeds (found at your natural/health store)
3 1/2 ripe bananas (medium in size)
2 T Coconut butter (the bread does not taste like coconut for those of you who do not like coconut)
3 T Extra virgin olive oil
1/2 c pure maple syrup
unsweetened coconut, for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Whisk dry ingredients in large bowl (flour, soda, powder, salt, spices).
2. In a small cup, microwave coconut butter for 15 seconds to warm.
3. In a medium bowl, combine wet ingredients (bananas, syrup, butter, oil). Reserve 1/2 medium banana. Mix wet ingredients very well, making sure to break up the clumps of the coconut butter.
4. Chop reserved banana into one inch chunks; add to wet mixture.
5. Add wet ingredients to the dry. Stir until flour is well combined. Do not over mix as this will make the dough tough.
6. Pour the batter into a pre-greased loaf pan. Sprinkle with shredded coconut.
7. Bake for 45 minutes or until golden brown. (Mine cooked for 38 minutes as was done). Remove from oven and let cool for 15 minutes before removing from pan and serving.
This bread is very moist and does not need any added butter. Enjoy the taste as well as the delicious aroma in your house!